Saturday, December 8, 2012

Don't Miss Out

Over my 10+ years the healthcare field, something that i have often seen is how the younger generation often avoids the elderly generation.  I have seen so many lonely faces in places I have worked... the adult children will come yet rarely will you ever see young adult grandchildren.  It truly is a sad thing to witness.  I speak from experience, as my Grandmother passed away in 2002.  I was 21 at the time she passed and a few weeks before her death I was home visiting and my mother asked me if I would go with her to see Grandma (As my mother went nearly daily to see my Grandmother) and I stated that I would go see her the next time I was in visiting.  That chance never came, as my Grandmother passed and I never had the opportunity to speak with her again or receive one of her giant bear hugs that lasted forever...

There is a british film called, "Mrs. Palphrey at the Claremont" and it is one of my favorites.  It is about an elderly woman who moves to London and she calls and calls her grandson and he never came to see her and she one day meets a young stranger on the street who befriends her and shows her nothing by kindness.  He becomes her stand-in grandson.  It was sad when for so long her real grandson ignored her... and a stranger showed her utmost respect.

Never lose the opportunity to spend time with your all your Grandparents... they are full of so much love and wisdom... though they will often never feel wise... they have experienced life to its extent.  And not only your grandparents, but any elderly person... you never know when you could make a wonderful change in another's life.  Perhaps someone doesn't have anyone who comes to see them, or rarely comes to see them, and you could be that difference to make someone's heart so happy.   One never knows when the opportunity will pass and believe me, you never want to experience regret... because it will catch up with you one day and you will regret not spending more time with those who needed you most. 

So don't miss out on the best generation... don't miss out on all the love...

No comments:

Post a Comment